Saturday morning kicked off with a series of synchronised alarms. We were up and out by 6am to prepare our press’ new home. Simon’s brother ‘Salty’ met us there to assist in clearing the area and preparing essential nutrition for the day: peanut butter (all the way from NYC) on toast. We split up the team: Jenna went to the commercial printer where the machine was located to rendezvous with Bob, our Heidelberg engineer, and the trucky, while Simon and Salty went to pick up a palette jack.
When Jenna arrived Bob had already checked the machine and had begun to prepare it for the move. One poor sod who had the Saturday shift was on forklift duty and after securing the eye-bolt and raising the forklift till it almost hit the ceiling, off we went. Until we approached the door. A cautious Bob saved it from a near miss with the roof! Mr Forklift had to put the machine down, drive around, pick it up from the other side and carefully drive it out and place it on the truck.
Unfortunately Simon and Salty missed all the action, waiting an excruciating half hour for the paperwork on the palette jack to be completed. However, we all met up at the drop off point in time for the unloading.
After the machine landed we shared a presumptuous high five. The journey was just beginning. We got the machine onto the palette and onto the jack and very, very, very, carefully led the 1.3 tonne hulking mass down the ramp. Everyone on the downhill side was (rightly so) worried about getting squashed. We edged the machine over the lip of the door frame and cracked a few slats with the crowbar. It was here we thought that everything was going to pieces, not just the palette. With the machine half in, half out, Bob steeled everyone’s resolve with some quick thinking. With the palette jack as high as we could get it and as far into the doorway as we could, we chocked it all up on the eight fence palings we got from Bunnings the week prior (I didn’t know what they were for at the time, but what Bob says, goes). We brought the palette jack in and grabbed the beast from the other side. We were in!
This was the fun part. After laying down our three sheets of tongue and groove to protect the tiles we dropped the the mass right in front of the destination. We then crowbarred the machine up to slide under the fence palings, then up onto steel rollers, creating what Bob described as a set of ‘train tracks’. Next stop, back on the palette jack minus the palette. From here, we reversed direction, removed the palette and replaced it with a new set of train tracks. Toot-toot. Final stop – drip tray.
After a very sweaty few hours we were done… moving. Bob then switched the motor over from a three phase to single phase, checked the shearing collar and levelled the machine, amongst a myriad of other checks and balances.
We said goodbye to Bob, popped on our new rollers and we were printing!
It was a very long day and everyone at The Hungry Workshop were both excited and elated, so we celebrated the only way we know how: with a glass of champagne and a cold beer with good friends.